3 Things You Can Expect After Breast Reconstruction Surgery
Breast Reconstruction Surgery is a complicated procedure, both during and after the operation. There are some problems that could arise in the days following surgery but, often, these symptoms may be completely normal.
It’s natural to be paranoid after a surgery of this magnitude. To help alleviate some of your worries, here’s a list of three completely normal things to expect after Breast Reconstruction Surgery:
1. Bruising, Swelling, and Soreness
The most common complaint from women who receive this surgery is that the bruising, swelling, and soreness around the operation site doesn’t disappear for quite some time.
- According to Cancer.org, patients can expect to feel soreness for a week or two after the surgery.
- Bruising and swelling can last for up to 8 weeks, and it’s important to be patient while these symptoms subside. Overexertion can cause the swelling to continue for an unnecessarily long period of time.
- Women who had “flaps” used during the surgery can expect these symptoms to last a little longer, as this procedure is more invasive.
2. Scar Tissue
Unfortunately, no matter what, you will be left with some scarring after a procedure of this magnitude.
- Patients will find scarring around the incision site.
- It can take up to 2 years for the tissue to fully heal and excess scarring to fade away. The core scar will never completely disappear.
- Scarring can also cause emotional distress or temporary body dysmorphia if patients aren’t mentally prepared.
3. Bra Discomfort
Your doctor might recommend wearing a bra that’s supportive enough to keep your reconstructed breasts from drifting, but it’s important not to use one with an underwire.
- Breast Reconstruction Associates are Dallas’ premiere experts in Breast Reconstruction Surgery and Recovery. They have the knowledge and experience to guide you through the recovery process and ensure the minimal occurrence of complications and setbacks. Visit their website to schedule a consultation today.
Visit Our Location: